Rugani Carrot Risotto with Crispy Kale & Fry’s Chicken Style Strips
Prep Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 35 min
- 1/2 Cup / 110 g onions, chopped
- ½ cup / 110 g leeks, sliced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup / 220 g risotto rice
- 1 cup / 250 ml vegetable stock
- 2 cups / 500 ml Rugani 100% Carrot Juice
- ½ tsp black pepper, ground
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 small bunch kale, washed, dried well and stems removed
- 1 pack Fry’s Chicken Style Strips cooked according to package instructions
- 3 sprigs mint, extra for serving
- Pre-heat oven to 180 ℃.
- Place the kale in a bowl with half the olive oil and 1 tbsp nutritional yeast. If you don’t have nutritional yeast you can use any spice mixed with salt to season your crispy kale.
- Toss the kale through the spice and olive oil mixture making sure to coat the kale evenly.
- Place on a baking tray. Make sure not to overlap the kale as they will not crisp up if you do. Place in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until crispy. Remove from the oven once done and cool.
- While the kale is in the oven, place the Rugani 100% Carrot Juice and stock into a small saucepan and heat until warm, not boiling, over medium heat. Keep on medium heat for the duration of the cooking period.
- Heat another medium saucepan on medium heat with the other tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the risotto rice and cook for another minute.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add ½ cup of juice-stock mixture and stir the risotto until mixed through. Leave the risotto to cook until all the liquid has evaporated and bubbles start to form. Add another ½ cup of juice-stock mixture, again waiting until the liquid has evaporated.
- While the risotto is cooking, make the mint oil by blending the mint and 1 tablespoon of olive oil until the mint is finely blended. Keep aside until serving.
- Continue with the rest of the juice-stock mixture until all of it is finished and the risotto is al dente (not soft just firm to the bite).
- Add the black pepper and another tablespoon of nutritional yeast (or spice mix). Cook until the mixture is creamy.
- In a pan, fry the Fry’s Chicken Style Strips in a little bit of oil for around 6 to 8 minutes.
- Serve the risotto warm, topped with the Fry’s Chicken Style Strips, crispy kale, and a drizzle of mint oil.