Beetroot burger with sweet potato fries
Developed by Simone Kruger, Yellow Papaya
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil,
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk powder
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 2 (14-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium beets, grated
- 100 ml beetroot juice
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 hamburger rolls
- Tomato, sliced
- Lettuce washed
- Gherkins, sliced
- 150 ml vegan mayonnaise (available at Fruit Lovers Market and Woolworths)
- ½ tsp cajun spice
- Juice of half a lime
- Pre-heat oven to 200 ℃.
- In a frying pan heat the olive oil and cook the onion till translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook a further one minute.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the psyllium husk powder, oats, black beans, beetroot juice, beets, and spices.
- Mix till well incorporated and form into patties.
- Keep aside on a plate with baking paper.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into chip shapes and place them on a baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until brown and crispy.
- For the spicy mayo mix the mayo, cajun spice and lime.
- Keep aside.
- When the sweet potatoes are almost done start frying the burger patties in a frying pan on medium heat until crispy and brown.
- Assemble burgers by placing patties on the bottom, topping with lettuce, tomato and gherkin, and spicy mayo.
- Serve immediately with sweet potato fries.