Beef Potjie with Cheddar Dumplings & Roasted Pumpkin Slices
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 kg beef shin (bone-in), cut into blocks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp of oil for frying
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup beef stock (vegetable for a vegetarian option)
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 cups Rugani 100% Carrot Juice
- 8 baby onions, peeled (Increase to 10 for vegetable-based potjie)
- 4 large carrots (Increase to 6 for vegetable-based potjie)
- 8 baby potatoes (Increase to 8 for vegetable-based potjie)
- Optional: Add 500g spinach for vegetable-based
- 500 g cake flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp (7.5 ml) salt
- 100 g butter
- 100 g cheddar, grated
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) fresh rosemary, chopped
- 250 ml cold water
- 750-800 g pumpkin, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Method for the pot:
- Start a fire until you have some red hot coals and push some aside.
- Season your meat with salt and black pepper, then add to the potjie that has been heated over the fire until smoking hot and fry until golden brown.
- Remove the meat and keep aside.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to the potjie add the onions and fry the onion until golden.
- Add the garlic, thyme, rosemary, and cinnamon, and fry for another minute.
- Add the meat and bones to the pot, and then pour in the Rugani 100% Carrot Juice and the stock. Simmer with the lid on for 1 hour.
- Mix the cornflour with the water then add it to the pot, along with the carrots and baby onions. Carefully stir until well combined.
- Place the lid on the potjie and cook for another 50 minutes. Do not stir at all during this time.
Method for the dumplings:
- While the pot has started cooking prepare the dumplings. Sift the four, baking powder and salt together.
- Rub the butter in with your fingertips or a food processor, then add the cheddar and herbs. Add the water and mix until you have a stiff dough.
- Roll the dough into small balls, about the size of a golf ball. Place on top of the meat and vegetables and cook for 30 minutes with the lid on, until the dumplings are ready.
- To brown the dumplings place some coals on top of the lid of potjie for 10 minutes or until they are browned.
Method for the pumpkin:
- While the potjie is cooking, pre-heat oven to 200 ℃.
- Place the pumpkin in a baking tray.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until soft and the edges turn brown.
- Serve warm with potjie and dumplings.